He's Out of Our Lives


So I'm being driven home by some friends after seeing the 'Transformer' sequel (which was... not good) and invariably the conversation turns to Michael who's been dead a couple of days now. Arvell says 'You're boy is gone'. And I resopond with 'He really wasn't my boy' and the radio retrospective then plays 'Smooth Criminal' which is like my jam. Not my favorite Michael Jackson song which would be 'She's Out of my Life' but 'Smooth Criminal' is my jam. Then I started thinking about it a bit, remembering scrounging up the cash to by 'Thriller' in high school, hijacking my brothers 'Off the Wall' LP and being financially solvent in 1987 via parking cars to buy 'Bad' without nary a thought. Damn $4/hr went a long way when you lived at home and didn't have to pay bills. I also purchased 'Victory' and that damn Rockwell album back in the day based on Michael's star power alone so upon further review it would seem that that mighty confused, extremely flawed, psychologically screwed up dude who was talented almost beyond anyones ability to quantify talent was my boy. Never have the words 'Rest in Peace' meant so much for somebody.

On a side note, though he will probably deny this, my good friend Lee (last name withheld to protect his guilt) came to school one day wearing a Beat It jacket, Parachute Pants and suede boots. We're talking about an outfit with probably 80 zippers on it (the boots even had zippers) and the boy still had no place to put his wallet. How lucky were we back then that the photo cellphone hadn't been invented yet?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wrong Cheerleader

The Wrong Crush

The Ladies of Adam Sandler - Pt. II