Which fan suffers more?


As another football season nears its conclusion I ask this question which I have posed before. It has been established that I am a fan of the Detroit Lions, and note that with the Saints going to the Super Bowl there is but one lone team in the NFC that has yet to make an appearance in that glorious game. I'll let you guess who that one team is. Anyway, it is no scoop that the Lions suck. But lets examine the Vikings for a moment. For almost my entire life as a football fan, and I've been around for a bit now, the Minnesota Vikings have almost always put out a competitive product, with a lot of their teams being just flat out amazing. The Purple People Eaters of the 70's, Joey Browner's Viking teams of the 80's, the unstoppable Randall Cunningham team of the 90's and now this team here. I thought the collapse by the '98 team was bad but this one might've been even worse. I was pulling for the Saints to win because I thought it would be good for New Orleans and two weeks of being bombared by Brett Favre hyperbola might've pushed me over the edge but as the game was coming to its end it seemed to me that the best team in that game will be at home watching the BIG game yet again.

Did the Detroit Lions disappoint me by winning two games this year and zero games the year before? No, not really. I wanted them to do well but it is no shock that they did not. But the Vikings... The Vikings bring their fans to such heights, to such lofty expectations only to drop those poor fans off the proverbial cliff year after year after year. This has to be some kind of torture. How in the world does a Viking fan deal with this? When the Vikings had the ball on the Saints thirty-whatever there was no doubt in my mind, as a non-Viking fan, that Ryan Longwell was going to come in, nail that 50+ yard kick and the Vikings would be going to the Super Bowl. A Viking fan probably knew better than to think that. A Viking fan probably knew that somehow, someway something would happen to screw it all up. This fan knew that despite the fact their team had outplayed the Saints in almost every concievable facet of the game, tried like hell throughout the game to give it away and yet were still poised to win it at the end... this fan feared that this team that he or she loves would find a way let them down. Epic fail, yet again. With maybe a touch of help from the refs.

I suppose in the long run it is better to have repeated events of crushed high hopes than no hope at all. I suppose. Given a choice would you rather be pathetic (Lions fan) or tragic (Vikings fan). It's no fun being pathetic but I don't dig being tortured either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wrong Cheerleader

The Wrong Crush

The Ladies of Adam Sandler - Pt. II