Zero and One


I know this blog thing is alleged to support the FCU website but it's fall and I haven't been sitting on my ass watching many movies lately and have instead been sitting on my ass watching football. When I was a kid NFL opening day was a bigger deal than Christmas Day with my Dad, older brother and eventually even my sister gathering around to break down game film. We loved us some football baby. Now that I'm an old man opening day isn't nearly as important to me as it used it to be but it does still does possess some cache. And this opening day is doubly important because this is the year my Lions rise from the ashes!

Or maybe not. Saints QB Drew Brees and his good friends Colston, Shockey, Henderson, some cat named Bell and some of the fans from the stands played pitch and catch for sixty minutes while my Lions looked on and took notes. Were the Saints malicious they probably could've hung a hundred points on us but they kindly stopped at 45. The Saints spent so much time in the endzone that they should've been charged rent.

Matt Stafford did not like a million bucks times forty after 'winning' the QB job in the pre-season but this is to be expected from a rookie. I am of the opinion that Cullpeppper played better during the pre-season but the Lions future isn't with Daunte Cullpepper and I would've preferred that Coach Schwartz had said as much as opposed to the fallacy that Stafford 'outplayed' the vet during those worthless pre-season games. Besides, the kid had the unique advantage of actually playing and gaining valuble experience then going to the sidelines to observe how a real quarterback approaches the game of football. Outstanding.

As a long time Lions observer it is not uncommon for players to have career days against my team, and you may want to observe how many opposing players grab 'Player of the Week' honors while playing the Lions, as I suspect Drew Brees will be honored this week... though I think playing the Lions should automatically eliminate one from award contention... we were just hoping that things might be a little different this year. It's early and The Saints are really, really good offensively so we aren't slamming the door on the Lions just yet, but it aint looking good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wrong Cheerleader

The Wrong Crush

The Ladies of Adam Sandler - Pt. II