Genuine cocerns from a 'Marvel'.




Since everybody else has an opinion on this…

My friend William accuses me of being ‘A Marvel’.  He bases this on the fact that I waited a whole week to see ‘The Dark Knight’ but managed to see ‘Iron Man’ on the opening weekend.  Admittedly, as a kid, I largely read Marvel comics but that was because my brother was the one with the paper delivery job so I read whatever he brought.  Comics help teach me how to read, which is probably why I use so much Dr. Doom Speak.  Servile Dolt!  Insufferable Clod!  Tremble at my name! Tender your tone, insolent swine!  That one got me fired from Jack-in the Box back 1988.

But even an accused Marvel has to be just a little curious with what is happening with this new Superman movie.  We could start right off the bat with Henry Cavill as Superman, but he is a tall handsome white guy with a powerful chin so what more do you really need?  Perhaps some more personality, but we’re not complaining.  The more pressing issue, as far as ‘Man of Steel’ was concerned, if one were to ask me, was Amy Adams as Lois Lane.  We’re going to avoid getting into the movie itself as there is review out there somewhere, but even after seeing the movie we still don’t see very talented Amy Adams and Lois Lane existing in the same space.  But again, that’s just me.

Now on to this new movie.  Personally, I don’t have a problem with Ben Affleck being Batman.  I’d be happier if he was directing this movie, but alas this is not the case.  In fact, this brought me joy as I was able to call William and mercilessly mock him and his precious D.C. Universe for their casting decisions of his favorite fictional character.  But I like Ben, I think he’ll be fine.  Daredevil concerns aside.

Then came news of supermodel Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman.  Jeez… that one even kind of hurt a Marvel.  Pretty woman, no doubt… but Wonder Woman?  Is she going to be part of the sickly / emaciated Amazon clan?  But she is some kind of retired Israeli soldier badass, so we will go ahead and buy into that one as well.  And then we have Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor.  Gotta admit, that’s some out the box thinking right there.  I’m talking so out the box that the box is nowhere to be found.  I can’t even fathom how that’s going to work.  My guess is that they are going for a more tech savvy, Venture Capitalist, Bill Gates-esque, squirmy, nervous styled Lex Luthor who really frightens no one, unless he’s behind a PC terminal driving stock prices down.  I guess that’s what they are going for.  And can the D.C. Universe faithful really trust Zack Snyder to bring all of this home?  Did you see ‘Man of Steel’?  I know things are gonna blow up and buildings will fall, but will that make for a good movie?  

Time will tell.  It’s not like I’m not going to go see it when and if it does come out, but it is looking mighty suspect right now.  Marvel or not. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wrong Cheerleader

The Wrong Crush

The Ladies of Adam Sandler - Pt. II